Become a Contractor in California
Quick Overview on Becoming a Contractor in California:
- All Contractors involved in construction related trades in California are required to be licensed by the California State License Board (CSLB)
- To become a licensed contractor, candidates will have to sit for two exams: a business & law exam and an exam on their trade.
- In order to sit for the examinations, the board must first approve your application.
- Pre-approval from the state is required to sit for the examination.
- Applicants are required to have 4 years experience to qualify to take the exam. Experience must be as a journeyman, foreman or supervisor, contractor, or as an owner-builder.
- All applicants must have a working capital of at least $2,500.
Steps To Become A Licensed Contractor In California
Step One: Once you review the above requirements for becoming a Contractor in California and you determine that you have met those requirements, you will need to get your Bond & Insurance Quote
Contractors Insurance can issue easy bond and insurance approvals. Get your quote with a fast 24-hour turnaround.
Step Two: Apply for your Examination
To Apply for your Contractor’s License Examination in California, Visit the Contractors State License Board.
Step Three: Download or order the Contractors License Law & Reference book
You can order the book here if you prefer to have the book in hand. Or, you can download a free PDF here.
It’s a big study guide, but there are several options to help you study with online courses and in class courses if you are not a “self-studier.”
Step Four: Issue your Bond & Insurance
Call us at 866-912-7283 to Issue your bond and insurance
Step Five: Get your License
Visit this page on the Contractors State License Board to issue your Contractor’s License.